Thursday, December 2, 2010

November Entry

Ms. Sbarro,
I wrote down my November Entry and never got around to blogging it, so that is why I am posting both entries tonight!

November 24, 2010
1:12 PM

Detailed Weather: 

Wind - 
  • Very light wind.  It sort of went on and off but was never above a 2 on the Beaufort Scale.  
  • Beaufort Scale: 1-2
  • East: I brought a compass and turned until the wind was blowing my hair away from my head.  I read the compass as East.  
Clouds - 

  • There were many white cirrus clouds, but the sky was somewhat clear.  The clouds were high in the sky, so most of the sky did not have clouds.   
  • They were very purely white.
  • cirrus clouds.  
Temperature -


  • Air: 50° Fahrenheit
  • Fahrenheit to Celsius: 
     
C = (50 - 32) x 5/9

C = 18 x 5/9

C = 18/1 x 5/9

C = 90/9

C = 10

  • 10° Celsius
  • Water: my water is still dried up!!! argh!  We need rain! 

General Observations: 

Measurements - 

  • Bur oak tree branch - 61.5 inches 
  • inches to centimeters conversion - 
2.54n = c

2.54(61.5) = c

c = 156.21

  • bur oak tree branch = 156.21 cm
  • water depth: my water is still dried up!!
Biota - 

  • 2 bur oak trees
  • common green foxtail
  • 1 wild turkey 
  • miniature daisy

Differences from previous months - 

  • Seasonal changes: 
    • NO leaves on BOTH bur oak trees!  
    • Fewer leaves on the ground
    • Temperature dropping again - it is the afternoon and the same temperature as nighttime last month.  
  • I went in the afternoon this time, since we had the day off.  There was much of a difference in the wildlife.  There were no crickets, since they come out at night.  I saw a wild turkey walking through the woods multiple times, but I didn't get my camera out quickly enough.  
  • my bur oak tree "measuring branch" has grown since last month by a total of 4.17 centimeters. 
  • Last month I noticed some holes in the ground.  This time, the holes have been covered up.  Animals like groundhogs are hibernating.  

No comments:

Post a Comment